Autor: Wookey
To: yaffs
Betreff: [Yaffs] Re: Yaffs2-Direct question
+++ Patel Dhaval-W36054 [06-07-14 13:01 -0400]:
> Hi,
>
> We are booting from NAND on ARM11 and would like to access files in
> YAFFS before kernel starts. Is YAFFS-Direct the library to look at for
> accessing YAFFS files outside of Linux ?

Yes, that would normally be the most sensible approach. If the bootloader
code is not GPL-compatible you need to buy a license.

There are also two other options:

You can integrate full yaffs, along with bits of MTD into a bootloader
if you like (the bootldr version used by the balloonboard project does
this). This requires the bootloader code to be GPL-compatible.

For a much simpler case you might consider the example read-only bootloader code
(for YAFFS1):
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/yaffs/direct/yboot.c?rev=1.2&view=log

(this is a bit harder to do for yaffs2, but it would be useful if someone
did). This code is LGPL so should be suitable for most (all?) bootloaders.

> Is below the correct location to download latest yaffs versions ?
> http://www.aleph1.co.uk/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/

Yes.

> Do you have any test boot loader code that we can view to use YAFFS in
> boot mode ?

There is yboot above and you could examine the full yaffs2 integration into
bootldr at:
svn://balloonboard.org/balloon2/trunk/bootldr/
(bootldr is a very 'fat' bootloader and I hesitiate to actually recommend it
as an example, but it does show how/that it can be done :-)

I am not aware of an accessible example of YAFFS-direct integration into a
bootldr online, but perhaps someone else can point at one?

> Should I use Direct version of YAFFS2 instead of YAFFS ?

Yes. YAFFS(1) code is now ponly in maintenance mode. But see above about the
yboot.c code which has no equivalent in YAFFS2

Wookey
--
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/